Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Today, I hugged a complete stranger...

Tonight at work, an older lady came in to buy a premie outfit. She seemed a little standoffish at first and I was hesistant to make conversation with her. I decided to start the conversation with, "who are you buying this for?" That was all it took for her to breakdown into tears. She proceeded to tell me that her daughter was pregnant with her first baby (and this grandmothers first grandchild) and that they found out last week that the baby has an extra chromosome (I didn't ask which one) which causes the baby to only have half of a heart and very enlarged organs. They told them that when the baby is born that is would only survive for an hour at most. It was heart wrenching to hear this. What do you say to that? All I could do was cry with her and give her a big hug. So, hug a complete stranger. You never know what someone else is going through in their life.

2 comments:

  1. Kim you're such a sympathetic & thoughtful person, one of the things I love about you! I'm sure that you brought some much-needed to comfort to that lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In moments like that I swear my prayer to heaven is Thank You God for my two insanely healthyfamily. I had a lady come in to the store one day to buy sports stuff that her nieces and nephews were decorating a tree located next to their dads grave. He had just died of cancer at 35. I was bawling. I agree with Emily. You probably gabe so much comfort to that struggling grandma:)

    ReplyDelete