Tuesday, July 12, 2011

“People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges.”

If any of you keep in touch with me on a regular basis then you would know that my mom and stepdad got a divorce in March of 2010. It was no shocker to me, as it had been coming for sometime.

That year (2010) for Fathers Day I had not talked to my stepdad for awhile but I decided to be the bigger person. We made the effort to go to his apartment and see him and spend the day with him. Again after that, no effort was made on his end. That fall he moved back with my mom. We saw him at Christmas and again on Easter.

Then, come April 2011 he was gone again. He has yet to make any effort to see his two granddaughters, me, Derk, or my sister and brother. One day he will grow old and be a very lonely old man. I try to think back of any happy memories and really, there are not many. I do remember the times he treated my brother like a dog. Calling him "boy" instead of his actual name. Wacking him in the back of the head, making him gag down his dinner after he had already thrown it up. Weeks that passed where not a word was spoken between the two of us when I was growing up. Not sure why he was ever allowed to treat us that way. Oh and did I mention the times where we would be driving and he would get out of the car and start walking down the road. Us kids were left in the car screaming as my mom chased him down begging him to get back in and not to leave.

All the cruel things he said to my mother and all of the wonderful things he NEVER did for her. He was definately no role model. I would never want my son (if I had one) to every grow up and treat people the way he treated others. Even our friends were scared of him. He made no effort to be friendly or get to know any of them. He has 2 kids from a previous marriage who he has also disowned, as well as another grandchild from one of them who he has nothing to do with. He will be sorry one day, that I am sure of. When he is an old man and there is nobody there for him, but by then it will be too late.

3 comments:

  1. I hear you there. I have the same problem with my biological father. But my father only has one child (me) and I always felt that he should hope that he doesn't outlive his parents, but he will get NO support from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic example of someone who only cares about himself; he will regret it someday. Without loved ones, you have nothing! I'm glad that you have such a great husband & father in Derk. No repeating the cycle!

    ReplyDelete